Hey there, dear readers! Today, I want to share with you a recipe that’s very close to my heart, something that brings the scent of autumn right into my kitchen. Picture warm, baked apples wrapped in a flaky, buttery pastry and drizzled with a sweet syrup… Sounds delicious, right? That’s exactly what we’re making today in “Autumn Comfort: My Warm and Cozy Apple Dumplings.” So, let’s roll up our sleeves and get started!
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 4-6 tablespoons cold water
- 4 small apples, peeled and cored
For the Syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Prepare the dough: In a large bowl, I mix together the flour and salt. Then, I add the cold butter, cutting it into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly, I add the cold water, stirring until the dough forms. I wrap this dough in plastic and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the syrup: While the dough is chilling, I start on the syrup. I combine the water, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. I then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. I remove it from the heat and stir in the butter until it melts completely.
- Preheat my oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Roll out the dough: On a lightly floured surface, I roll out the dough and cut it into squares, large enough to completely encase each apple.
- Assemble the dumplings: I place an apple in the center of each dough square. Then, I fold the corners of the dough square up around the apple, pressing and sealing to completely cover the apple. I place the dumplings in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the dumplings: I pour the syrup over the dumplings, making sure to cover them evenly. I bake the dumplings for about 50 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the apples are soft.
And there you have it, my “Autumn Comfort: My Warm and Cozy Apple Dumplings.” They’re the perfect dessert to warm you up on a chilly autumn evening, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy baking, and do let me know how you loved these apple dumplings. Happy baking!
Un Seattle Gourmond