Welcome back, fellow food enthusiasts! With the warm summer months upon us, we have a recipe that’s perfect for making the most of the ripe and vibrant berries that this season brings. We present to you our “Summertime Symphony: Rustic Summer Berry Galette.” This rustic, free-form tart is filled with a sweet and tangy mix of summer berries, all encased within a delicate, flaky crust. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and it beautifully showcases the delightful bounty of summer.
For the Galette Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup ice water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling
- Prepare the dough: In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cold butter and work it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the ice water, stirring until the dough comes together. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl, toss the mixed berries with sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to allow the berries to release their juices.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble the galette: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch round. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Spoon the berry mixture onto the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all around. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the galette for 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbly and cooked through.
- Cool and serve: Allow the galette to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
I hope you enjoy our “Summertime Symphony: Rustic Summer Berry Galette.” This galette is a perfect way to enjoy a lazy summer afternoon with a cup of iced tea and good company. It’s a celebration of summer in every bite. Enjoy baking, and let us know how you liked it!
Un Seattle Gourmand