For the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 7 to 8 cups apples (about 3 to 4 lbs), peeled, cored, and sliced. Granny Smith and Honeycrisp are good choices for baking.
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like your pie
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Make the pie crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the cold, cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add the ice water and pulse until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into two equal parts, shape into disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, spices, salt, lemon juice, and flour. Toss until everything is well mixed.
- Assemble the pie: Roll out one disk of pie dough and fit it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges, leaving about a 1-inch overhang. Add the apple filling to the pie crust and dot the top with the small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second disk of dough and either cut it into strips to make a lattice top or keep it whole and cut a few slits in it for steam to escape. If you choose to keep the top whole, place it over the apples. Trim, fold, and crimp the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake the pie: Brush the top crust with the egg wash. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling. If the edges of the pie are browning too quickly, you can cover them with aluminum foil.
- Let the pie cool for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the filling to set.
Enjoy your homemade apple pie!