For the pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 4-6 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (like peas, carrots, corn, and green beans), thawed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the pastry: In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Make the filling: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it thicken, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and thawed vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the pie: Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to fit your pie dish. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the dish. Cover with the rolled-out dough, trim the excess, and crimp the edges. Cut a few slits in the top of the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let the pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your homemade Chicken Pot Pie!
Un Seattle Gourmand